All About Group Therapy
We are so excited to begin offering Group Therapy to our community! Our team of expert clinicians are eager to begin implementing this new therapeutic modality in order to serve the needs of the community in a way we never have before.
Group Therapy supports individuals of all ages experiencing concerns such as challenging social interactions, low self worth, difficulty managing stressors, feelings of anxiety or depression, feelings of isolation, or struggling with life transitions. Group Therapy is a highly effective therapeutic modality that may be implemented as a stand alone mental health treatment, or in addition to other forms of therapy such as individual, family, or couples counseling.
Group Therapy creates opportunities that do not exist in typical individual therapy, and can be more effective than individual therapy alone. Some examples include…
• The space to interact with other Group Members experiencing similar concerns. The shared sense of purpose within a Group is transformative, and instills hope that change is possible. The feeling of community that is created reduces stigma, feelings of alienation, and isolation. Group Members may relate to one another in ways that they do not with an individual therapist, creating more openness to receiving feedback.
• Group Members practice pro-social behaviors within the Group, including giving and receiving support, developing self awareness in relation to others, observing others engaging in appropriate behaviors, and learning how to identify and verbalize thoughts, feelings, and needs effectively. A trained Group Therapist is able to provide support in order to facilitate this interactive learning experience.
• Group work allows trained Group Therapists to observe and modify challenging relational patterns in the moment. This can be more effective than roleplaying in individual therapy. Clients learn and practice new skills that are immediately transferable to relationships outside of the Group.
• Group Members develop authentic relationships and engage in positive interactions throughout the Group process which allows for corrective experiences, opportunities to implement new skills, practice emotional regulation, and to heal from previous negative experiences.
Some upcoming Group offerings include the following topics:
– Positive Discipline Parent Support
– Teen Self-Confidence and SelfCompassion
– Social Skills
– Sibling Support
– Healthy Relationships
– Children of Divorced Parents
– And more!
Learn more about our upcoming Group Therapy opportunities here.